- Josh Rouse-(Country Mouse City House) Josh brings his listeners into another melodically moving album blending instances of his past with a mixed mood of genre blending tunes. In paticular, is the demo song "Snowfall". A man of many endevours Josh provides another moving album and a true treasure for listeners in 2008.
- Fleet Foxes - (Mykonos) This Seatle based group continue to prove that the Sub Pop label has plenty of reason to celebrate it's 20th anniversary. This orchestrated pop group even had enough time to release an EP.
- The Broken West - (Now or Heaven) The West coast is proof positive that sunny tunes can still be crafted for an indie crowd in the land of swimming pools and movie stars. The Broken West take a different approach to their follow up album on Merge records scoring a beutiful blend of indie heart with their own personal style.
- Does It Offend You Yeah - (You Have No Idea For What You're Getting Yourself Into) Does It Offend You Yeah could easily win the award for longest title on an album, but the album name says it all. This group from across the pond takes a cue from the 80's mixing pop friendly sounds with a modern day feel. DIOYY, provides some of the most toe tapping rhythms and some that will invoke your inner driver side musician.
- Marah - (Angels of Destruction) Marah has been of my grid for a while, but find their way back into my player with this Replacements era style album. Marah start the year with a wonderous album mixing the styles of Big Star and the Replacements, but finish up my top five leaving me wondering can they continue to keep the hits coming.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
While I could turn back the clocks and list a few gems that may not have come out this year it's my pleasure to list a top five of what I consider the best of 2008. So sit back and strap in for a wild ride of some artists that rocked my world.