Monday, September 7, 2009

Raiding the Musical Gum Ball Machine

I know I've taken a brief sabbatical from the blogosphere, but it's been a worthwhile trip musically since my last post. Since then, I've finished one great book issued by Wax Poetics and worn out enough vinyl to shake a needle at.

It's been my experience that one of the greastest musical styles belongs to the affectionately named power-pop genre. A combination of late 60's British and American pop music infused with rock elements can be both toe tapping and super addictive.

One of the great albums I've been playing the shit out of is a collection titled "Top 30" by Alex Chilton. Alex is best known as a member of the Box Tops or Big Star, but this collection takes nothing from those groups. Individually, the disc samples his solo career from the breakup of Big Star to his album "Cliche". Highlights abound and anyone looking for a great place to start learning about his work, this is the place to start.

In addition, I can't say enough about this great little label straight out of the Windy City called Numero Group. Since picking up their homage to the Titan Label titled "Titan: It's All Pop!", I've had the pleasure of reintroducing myself to a lost generation of power-pop artists that have my ears ringing. With the help of this 2 disc collection, Kansas City's Titan Records finally returns to record bins and has helped yours truly get back to his bubble gum roots.

Notable Number Currently In Play:
  1. Mayer Hawthorne -"Your Easy Lovin' (Ain't Pleasin Nothing)"
  2. Lucero - "The Devil and Maggie Chascarillo"

Click the above links to hear each tune.

No comments: