Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Alejandro and the way of the True Believers

Saludos Amigos

It's amazing how a few days will turn around your musical tastes and this week has been no exception. I recently dropped a few dead presidents on an album by Mr. Alejandro Escovedo's latino punk collective called "The True Believers". To my surprise the RYKO label was gracious enough to put together a collection of both albums on one phenom of a compact disc. Far be it for me to judge a album by its cover, but even with that in mind this disc is just that, F*CKING AMAZING. Combined with his brother Javier the band brings back a sense of senseless rock and roll. The first part of this album burns with the excitement of being in the front row of the first concert I attended as a young boy in central Florida. By the way, thanks Ma Mettalica was amazing, but no Nirvana, denied. Songs like Rebel Kind, Hard Road, and Home combine beutiful instrumentation and lyrics that will keep any fan entertained. In fact, Whiskeytown frontman Ryan Adams cover "Rain Won't Help You When Its Over" on their album "Strangers Almanac".

This isn't the first time I've got to give props to RYKO for putting out some great music. They are partly responsible for my love of all music by Josh Rouse. Matter of fact, Josh and his Bedroom classics label have been stirring things up online with their label website. Just recently, a very sleepy Josh managed to put together a classic U2 tune with the help of an accoustic and a desire to keep listeners wanting more. Kudos Mr. Rouse, Kudos. I know I could go on more about the musical styles of Josh, but I'll save that for a different time. Listeners intrigiued can check out his myspace page or label site at, http://www.joshrouse.com/ .

The only sad part about this whole story is that I hadn't found the "True Believers" sooner. Hopefully, anyone out their interested won't have to wait as long as I did and am able to pick up this wonderful collection, maybe even some Josh Rouse, or any RYKO album. I promise you won't be disappointed, but if you are my bad.

Folks, with that I'm leaving this little hide-a-way of musical criticism and trust in the faith that some lost souls searching for a good tune or two find my commentary enlightening.

Other Notable Numbers Currently in Play:
  1. Eddie Cochran - Never To Be Forgotten
  2. KISS - Rock N Roll Over

No comments: